Nigeria is the largest producer of Pineapple in Africa
WHAT HAVE WE ACHIEVED WITH THIS STATUS?
Pineapples contribute to over 20 % of the world production of tropical fruits and as a crop are second only to bananas as the most important harvested fruit.
Brazil, Thailand, Philippines, China are the main pineapple producers in the world supplying 52% of the total output. Other important producers include India, Nigeria, Kenya, Indonesia, Mexico and Costa Rica. These countries provide most of the remaining fruit available (48%). Since 1960, pineapple production worldwide has risen by 400%. With the introduction of the “Gold” variety, developed and patented by Fresh Del Monte in the 1990’s, the production of pineapple has grown again by nearly 50% since 1998.
Even though Nigeria is recognized as one of the main producers of the Pineapple in the world, she is the number 1 producer in Africa, followed by South Africa.
It is interesting to note that even though Nigeria is the largest producer in Africa, the profile of South Africa is gradually rising in the production and processing of the fruit.
Pineapple farming is an important export industry for South Africa but the crop does come with its challenges, such as a highly competitive market and fluctuating needs that require creative solutions. Pineapple farming has a good future in Nigeria if the fruit can be processed into fruit juice, cuts, syrup etc. Dietary fiber can be extracted by an industrial plant out of the pineapple fruit flesh and this fiber can be used in a variety of industries ranging from baking to meat production and even as a bulk extender, adding weight to products without excess calories or sugar.
In South Africa, the small town of Bathurst in the Eastern Cape is marked by a large structure known as the ‘Big Pineapple’, which is the largest of its kind in the world ahead of similar constructions in Australia and Hawaii; a well-known icon for a district that is ideal for pineapple production. Pineapple is a versatile product.
PINEAPPLE BUSINESS MODEL IN NIGERIA
There is no specific or definitive model of pineapple business in Nigeria. Unlike other African countries (Ghana, Ivory Coast & South Africa) women are more involved in retail marketing of pineapple as this has been found to be more lucrative.
The cost of transportation from farms in the hinterland to the cities is high. Pineapple farmers in Nigeria do not have access to qualitative market information system as this is very relevant to enable them benefit by exporting the produce. Pineapples are chill-sensitive and should not be stored in refrigerator.
A 2009 study of the South African National Department of Agriculture (NDA) report shows the growth of South Africa’s share in the global pineapple market is on the rise. We also noted that with the entry of SHOPRITE into the Nigerian retail market, canned South African Pineapples also made a smooth entry into the Nigerian market.
– Despite being ranked 39 on the world export market, the industry holds great potential with an upward growth curve. South Africa is currently ranked sixth in unfermented pineapple juice exports. Nigeria is not rated or ranked and we are the largest producer of fresh pineapple on the African continent.
Using the 2011 as the comparison base year, the Permanent Secretary, Federal Ministry of Agriculture & Rural Development, Mrs. Ibukun Odusote disclosed the country production information below
PRODUCTION IN METRIC TONNES
CROP NIGERIA KENYA SOUTH AFRICA
PINEAPPLE 920,000 371,310 108,636
MANGOES 795,000 636,585 52,318
WATERMELON 139,223 66,196 77,993
As I said in my earlier post, there is light at the end of the dark tunnel.
The Dansa Company (Dangote Group) is investing $45 million for Pineapple production and processing in Cross River. The Transcorp Group has also invested about $6.5 million into fruit juice plant in Makurdi where they’re now processing pineapples and oranges.
The larger players are joining this particular phase of transforming agricultural production along the value chain.